Freelance Writing: Simple Tips on Complicated TopicsWhere Most of Your Time as a Freelance Writer Goes
As a freelance writer, you can be struggling for the maximum possible productivity. However, it’s not always that easy as it seems. Even after you kill all the obvious distractions, closing the door, getting the ear plugs and even shutting down Facebook, your speed can still leave much to be desired.
Here we nominate top 5 worst writers’ time thieves. Check yourself – some of them can be too familiar to you:
- Too long research Even though a deep research is necessary for doing an effective study, some writers go too far with it. It’s important to know when to stop. Simply collect enough facts and start writing. Avoid digging through the web, searching for non-existent gems. Set a timer for research if it’s necessary.
- Lazy citing. Unless you have a mechanism for citing your sources, it can get chaotic and steal a lot of time. Start making notes while doing your preliminary research. Otherwise, it can take you too much time, looking for ‘that curious fact’ later.
- Unprofessional editing. Another enemy of freelance writers is lazy editing. Try to use professional tools and effective methods to maximize the effectiveness of your editing effort.
- Perfectionism. Did you hear the ‘better done than perfect’ motto? That’s a great productivity booster you will love. Indeed, there’s no sense torturing yourself, trying to find the right wording for every singe detail. Remember about the deadline and start writing on-time.
- Computer illiteracy. One more huge mistake is doing everything old school way and never learning any new tricks. Improving your computer literacy can be a great way to boost your productivity and enjoy the improved results of your work.
Would you add something to this list of the worst time thieves? What brings your productivity as a freelance writer back?