Freelance Writing: Simple Tips on Complicated Topics11 Interesting Facts about Eyes You’ve Never Heard Before
To a freelance writer, eyes are not only windows to a soul. Healthy eyes are necessary for your professional success. Eye hygiene and eye gymnastics are a must in our digital age. Here are a few interesting facts about eyes you probably haven’t heard before which might inspire you to take a better care of your eyes:
- 80% of eye problems worldwide could be avoided or still can be cured.
- About 39 million people worldwide are blind, and about six times that amount of people suffer from some kind of vision impairment.
- Eyes heal quickly. It usually takes up to 48 hours to heal any kind of scratch on eyes.
- We spend about 10% of our awake time with our eyes closed, blinking.
- The average blink lasts about 0.1 of a second.
- Usually you blink 12 times every minute.
- You blink 66% less when working on computer (it causes a dry and uncomfortable eye).
- If your eyes start watering, it cam be a sign of a dry eye. Your eyes can be lacking moisture and trying to compensate for it.
- Smoking reduces your night vision ability.
- The Mayans believed that cross-eyed people were attractive and they tried to make sure that their kids were cross-eyed.
- Seeing is one of the biggest part of our everyday lives, and it requires a half of our brain to be involved.
Would you like to add any more interesting facts about eyes to this list? Or, maybe you have certain personal observations which you’d love to share with our writers community? Looking forward to your comments below.